Sunday, July 17, 2011

DownTown Fort Myers


I’ve lived in the Cape for several years now and I can count on one hand how many times I’ve visited downtown Fort Myers, which was almost always for a business reason or simply passing through to get to another destination. If I had to choose one area that I feel the most comfortable in this area it would be Centennial Park. It offers a great area to spend with my family and also the long length of the river viewable from this vantage point is beautiful. With the setting of Downtown Fort Myers so close to water it does not give off an overwhelming feeling of being an urban jungle. The city council has obviously put a lot of thought into restoring and keeping the old fashioned beauty. There are many beautiful palms placed around the district along with other plant life, and this distracts from the boxed in feeling that I get sometimes when I’m in a city environment.

The parking situation depends on what time or which days you visit the area. On the weekends daytime it can be pretty easy to find some parking space, but I’ve also come to some of the government buildings during the workweek and finding a close parking spot with a meter is sometimes impossible. The courthouse has its own parking lot, and then there is the parking garage which I do not know how much it is to park there since I’ve never used it. I think the largest need for parking is with the government buildings during the day, and I assume weekend nights for the people visiting the clubs.

I remember on previous trips through downtown Ft. Myers I would notice the number of shops that were closed down or the vacated areas. Now it seems that there is a strong goal throughout the city to open as many unique shops that will draw in more tourist and resident shoppers. I think most of the tax money is going towards reconstruction rather than growth. The downtown area is not large, and not a lot of space is available to expand. There is a lot of beauty in the area, in the old buildings, and a majority of these have been restored or are in the process of being restored. The majority of the residential dwellings are on the 2nd floors above shops, and these are also being restored to bring back the beauty.

I did not observe very much graffiti, but with the courthouse and jail in close proximity I would imagine this would be the deterrent. I have never notice too many homeless people in the area, but from living here and talking to some of the homeless I understand that they keep out of sight a majority of the time. There is a soup kitchen in close proximity to downtown Ft. Myers. 

I would consider coming during the day to this area for family time and I know my wife would enjoy visiting the shops. I do not think there is a terrible threat coming downtown after dark like other cities, but I do not know of any reason than the club life which I am not very much into. As for living here, I would definitely say no. I have no desire to live in a city. I enjoy the privacy of my single family home, without a neighbor on the other side of the wall to worry about. And the beauty of having a backyard with a swing set for my daughter, and a grill for me.


I do not think that there are many improvements that are needed in the area that the city is not already striving to complete. In regards to sustainability, there was not much but a recycling bin on the streets. Which I imagine that it is the resident and business owners responsibility to recycle on their own. The city does try to include trees, etc. so it is not only a big block of cement, brick and stone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment